John Kieti leaves m:lab East Africa

0

John Kieti has left his position as lead at m:lab in Nairobi, Kenya, in order to finish his doctorate.

Kieti joined the m:lab in 2011, but having enrolled for doctoral studies at the University of Nairobi in 2013 has now left his role in order to focus entirely on his education.

“Currently my research area traverses information systems, entrepreneurship and agriculture in somewhat unrealistic ways,” he said.

“Its been quite an evolution and a while now since enrollment and it is told anecdotally that over 60 per cent of people who start such studies the world over don’t complete. 2015 is the year I have set aside to improve my chances of falling on the 40 per cent side.”

Kieti said he will remain a “strong exponent” of tech startups in East Africa.

“Perhaps I shall also drink more water than wine in an economic space where entrepreneurial ventures are our best chance of emancipating our masses from poverty and injustice,” he said.

He said he was proud of what the m:lab had achieved in his time in charge.

“Looking back four years, its been a great experience, sometimes a rollercoaster ride – a great thrill, but very importantly; a learning experience for me,” Kieti said.

“With time I was surrounded by a great team; incredibly dedicated with fabulous execution abilities. Representatives of the consortium organisations served as an awesome oversight board that became our biggest fans.”

Share.

About Author

Passionate about the vibrant tech startups scene in Africa, Tom can usually be found sniffing out the continent's most exciting new companies and entrepreneurs, funding rounds and any other developments within the growing ecosystem.

Leave A Reply